Psalm 91 is one of my favorite Psalms. At one time, I did not understand that the promises in the Bible were really for me, so I didn’t receive what they had to offer. A wonderful evangelist from Singapore, named Joseph Prince, opened my eyes. Ever since then Psalm 91 has been my favorite, and I declare it over myself and my house. So below are some comments and thoughts regarding this Psalm. [Note: the information regarding the names of God is from http://www.hebrew4christians.com. The Bible translation quoted is “The New Jerusalem Bible”.]
In the first 2 verses of Psalm 91, three names of God are used.
- Elyon – most high God (stresses strength, sovereignty, and supremacy)
- Shaddai – the all sufficient God (related to sufficiency and nourishment)
- Yahweh – the personal name of God the source of all being
These verses describe one who lives in the secret place of Elyon, spends his nights (sleeps/rests) in the shelter of Shaddai, and who says to Yahweh, “you are my refuge, my fortress, my God in whom I trust!”
What is the result of living, resting, and declaring trust in Yahweh?
The next verses declare that Yahweh rescues, covers, shields and protects him. He has no fear of any calamity whether at night, during the day, at noon, or during darkness. It goes on to state that he will remain unscathed and no disaster or plague will overtake or come near him. God even gives his angles orders to guard him.
The keys all of this protection and shelter is expounded in verses 14 and 15.
It says, since he clings to me –> I rescue him; Since he acknowledges my name (Elyon, Shaddai, Yahweh) –> I raise him high; Since he calls to me –> I answer him. In distress I am at his side. I rescue him and bring him honor.
It concludes in verse 16 with, “I shall satisfy him with long life, and grant him to see my salvation.”
So what are some keys for us to receive and live the Psalm 91 life?
- Believe in the nature of the Father as expressed in His names, His acts, and His son – Jesus Christ.
- Stay (live) in the secret place, communing constantly with Elyon. Jesus opened the door for us to dwell in the Holy of Holies.
- Rest in the shelter of Shaddai. Father provides ALL of our nourishment. Our needs are fully met by the All Sufficient One. We can do nothing without Him. We can do all things through Him. Our power to walk unscathed is a direct result of our ability to rest in the finished work of Christ.
- Declare Yahweh as your refuge, your fortress, your God in whom you trust. Acknowledge His name.
May Father’s love and shalom overwhelm you! May you grow in the revelation of his everlasting love and his mercy that endures forever!